The God Mercury

The God Mercury
The God Mercury, the Messenger of Winged Feet

Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Brief Comment by an Irish Runner

I don’t know whether or not I have anything to do with the dude who appears in Running Boston (2), but I thought I should answer just in case it refers to me.
I'm a curly haired, freckled, and white skinned as a glass of milk young Bostonian guy. You would say I seem to be like an Irishman because my descent came indeed from Ireland. I run often along the Charles River. Sometimes, I gaze at other runners. I remember for example a guy wearing a complete black running equipment some Sundays behind. I thought he wore overdressed, but he seemed being cold. I followed him for a mile, and further I overtook him. It was a bald, thin, suntanned, and about 6-feet tall middle-aged man. It caught my eye the fact he ran with a very good style, but I immediately thought he was able to go faster. Maybe he was doing a long training. I didn't know. If he wasn't from New England, he would be an European dude. Definitely, he could not be from one else of the States. He might be Italian or French; perhaps even a Spanish guy.
It doesn't matter if he came from France, Italy or Spain: he brought the whole Mediterranean in his blood. They are very different to us, the Celtics. Although some Celtic people lived at the Cantabrian Sea, and other regions in those countries, Mediterranean people are another thing. That runner seemed also well accustomed to move through the Hub. Was he maybe thinking of living in Boston definitely ?
Two Sundays later, I saw him again. However, that time he ran faster, and he was doing acceleration series or maybe a Fart Leck training session. When we coincided under the Harvard Bridge afterwards, I was be able to see why he ran so fast: he put on a pair of brand-new sneakers New Balance 890v3 Boston Marathon Edition - M890B0S3 - Paul Revere - reflective purple colorway. I understood it all at once. How I envied that Mediterranean guy, and even more at night!!!


Patrick O’Toole

No comments:

Post a Comment