The God Mercury

The God Mercury
The God Mercury, the Messenger of Winged Feet

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Making a Parenthesis in Our Lives


We took the final decision about the trip in early January: we were going to do an intensive English course in Boston, Massachusetts. We had to look for an academy, but my wife already knew BAE (Boston Academy of English); so we decided going there. I think the choice was right. The facilities, the atmosphere, and the quality of teaching are excellent in that academy. Thank this, we both have improved a lot our level. I had actually felt the strong call for studying English in May last year, during my first visit to Boston. I had never experienced that necessity with the Shakespeare’s language before although I had studied German in Germany twenty-four years ago. It had more to do with my preferences in Philosophy in those years than with the relative or absolute importance of these languages in the world. I have always recognized the role of English as modern lingua franca, but the course of my life didn’t permit to do what I would like to do when I was in my twenties. Consequently, English has been my pendant issue for a long time. The fact is that whereas I thought I needed first German because of my philosophy studies, I found English could wait. It was probably a mistake, not only because many very important philosophers are writing in English in our time, but also because the universal presence of English in the popular culture and in the international relationships.
Anyway, when I was in the States last year accompanying my wife in a professional journey, I had time to think, and realize it was time to resolve my hanging subject. According my manner of thinking, there is a serious contradiction between being a well-educated person and being lacking in the language which is used to communicate to each other by people around the world. It had been an inner inconvenience for decades, so finally I decided to kill the problem. Therefore I purchased a pack of courses online in June last year that I've finished in April this year, just before my trip to the USA. The plan was to get grammar and vocabulary knowledge, practice listening and pronunciation, and be prepared to do a total immersion for a month. If I was able to reach a good level in ten months, I would be able to make good use of my stay in the States. My wife did me her support, and she encouraged me at all times. Even she decided to join as student in her spare time in Boston (she had to work as well). I’ve worked hard during almost a year, and I’m convinced it has been worth it. I’m writing the present article fluently, and quite fast. I think it ought to mean something.
I don’t know if my method can be exported to anybody. Each one has his own skills, abilities, and style for learning. I’ve used tools which are in the market, and they are not unattainable expensive. It's certain I’ve had time enough to do it. However, I think the most important thing has been my enormous motivation. Studying in front of a computer (with no teacher) several hours a day during ten months; taking (alone) level exams without self-tricks; putting partial targets before finish line. All these things require time, determination and a clear objective. Taking in account this premises, and the fact that there are not two identical people, anyone can do a similar learning.
We had to prepare the travel and the stay because we both have things to do and family responsibilities. Our resources are also limited. A well thought and calculated planning is needed to take advantage of a good opportunity like that without overspending. Waste time and money was not amongst our plans, so we were extremely careful with our spending. I must recognize we felt envy of some classmates who had scholarship or subsidy, but it’s also true that we cannot complain.
If you are thinking about doing something like this ─and if you don’t mind─, here you go some advices:
1. If you are an adult, you should be prepared to play the student role again. It doesn’t matter who you are, how old you are, what you know, how your profession develops. You are a pupil surrounded by other pupils like you. Your group consists in students with a pretty similar level in English, and your daughter could perfectly be in a superior level. If you have any problem with that, you won’t be a good student. My advice: forget who you are, and focus in your learning.
2. To optimize your learning, you should emulate a sponge. You don’t learn only of the teachers, but of your classmates from around the world too. Be aware of this fact, and leave the international atmosphere takes you. Open your mind.
3. I find that speaking often between us (my wife and I) in English has also been a good help. If you coincide with other speakers in your own language in the academy, don’t use the common language. Talk just in the language you have gone to learn. It may be difficult at the beginning, but if you get it then it'll be odd to hear them in the common language. Speak only in English (or in the language you are learning).
4. We are fortunate because we have friends in Boston, and this fact supposes an invaluable help. Knowing local people is the best option if you have the opportunity, but it isn't easy. Therefore you should take advantage of the activities in the school: events for socializing, parties, excursions, cultural visits, etc. Don’t underuse them. Do social life.
5. And last but not least: be methodical, study hard and practice full time.
We are home again. Our impression is that we have had a parenthesis in our lives: we were students again! Meanwhile our habitual life waited for us, and our routine ─with its goods and troubles─ stopped for a moment whilst we had this useful and enriching brief period. We are continuing our habitual life from now on, but we have no doubt: it has been worth the parenthesis.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jordi, for your ability to overcome. Thank you for sharing your life with us all in Catalan, Spanish and, now, also in English. I hope we can share a good Guinness soon. Sure you have a lot to explain. Big hug!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, Jesús, of course. It sounds very well. But... we will have to speak in English!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gonna be an excellent opportunity to improve our skills and also to share our lives. See you soon! Keep in touch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete